Terrorism is a major issue in Pakistan. It has disturbed the whole fabric of our society. There are countless bloody spots everywhere due to terrorism. We need unity against this adversity. The ideological foundation of terrorism is extremism.
Oxford dictionary defines terrorism as; “The use of violence in order to achieve political aims or to force a government according to what they desire.” The lust for power is thus ultimate reason of terrorism. Oxford dictionary defines terrorist; “A person who takes part in terrorism or violent activities against innocent people or state functionaries.” Terrorists are basically power-hungry people; they adopt a shortcut route towards power corridor of a country. The prominent causes of terrorism can be grouped into five broad categories Psychological, Social, Economic, Political & Global. The prominent psychological reason of terrorism is rigid or dogmatic beliefs (a rigid or dogmatic belief is unscientific and irrational), a rigid belief leads, inevitably, some persons towards violent behavior. The social reason of terrorism is religious and racial extremism. The economic reason of terrorism is income inequality and poverty. The political reason of terrorism is the absence of meritorious polity and democracy in a country. The sole reason of global terrorism is desire to control maximum resources, both human and non-human, of the world. We may adopt five approaches towards eradication of terrorism;
- Quality Education – Quality education enables people to develop all of their attributes and skills to achieve their potential as human beings and members of society. It develops rationality and wisdom among people. A wise or rational person is free from any type of extremism.
- Adoption & Promotion of Eternal Human Values – There are four main eternal human values; Truth, Peace, Love & Non-Violence. Promotion of these human values among people lessens terrorism, visibly.
- Promotion Of Family System – In a family system each member has a role to play and rules to respect. Members of the system are expected to respond to each other in a certain way according to their role, which is determined by relationship agreements. The kind behavior among family members develops non-violent and peaceful attitude.
- Developing Democracy – Democracy is a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives. By developing democratic scheme, political reason of terrorism is abolished.
- Poverty Alleviation – Poverty is state of being extremely poor. By alleviating poverty, economic reason of terrorism is lessened rather it vanishes.
Terrorism in Pakistan has become a major and highly destructive phenomenon in recent years. Hence it is the biggest threat to Pakistan’s progress. Terrorism data indicates that over the past decade, Pakistan has had the highest number of terrorism related deaths in the world.Historically, terrorism’s roots can be traced back from 1979, when there was an effort to kick out Russia from Afghanistan. But the problem became severe after 9/11. And now in 2014, it has become a menace for our motherland. The annual death toll from terrorist attacks has risen from 164 in 2003 to 3318 in 2009. Recently in Pakistan, a terrorist attack killed 143 people; most of them were children/teenagers (134) from grades 1 to 10 when Taliban gunmen attacked the school on December 16th, 2014 in the morning. But now the government and state institutions are taking strict measures against terrorists, terrorism and extremism in our country.